Friday 25 January 2013

Viktor Vauthier Photography

Viktor Vauthier is one of my favourite photographers. I love the way he captures the emotion of the models in his pictures with a great edge, i also really like the neutral tones of his images. His choice of models always really interests me, they are all naturally beautifully and he manages to capture this so well. Vauthier always seems to use Laura Mulvey's 'Male Gaze' theory within his photography. This is where the image that is taken is viewed in a way that a hetrosexual male would look at a female, although this can relegate women to the status of being an object, Vauthier pulls this off brilliantly in a non-sexist way.



















As much as i love Vauthier's photpgraphy style i feel this could be hard to produce myself in a similar way, as i have many more limitations (location, model, equipment, costume etc). The lighting and set within his images can be quite stark and unforgiving with the models, this is something i must keep in mind when taking my photographs if i do it in the same style as Vauthier (studio versions in particular- white background).

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your assessment of Vauthier.He reminds me of Terry Richardson in the starkness of some of his studio shots.

    ReplyDelete