Thursday 21 March 2013

Evaluation Draft Question 2

2. How does your media product represent particular social groups?

During the research and planning stages of this project, the audience research & profile and band profile were very significant in making sure I represented a particular social group. It gave me a clear indication of the type of audience that would buy my magazine and therefore had a huge impact on the genre and style of my overall magazine and band. After doing important research on UK Tribes I made the decision for my magazine to represent the social group of ‘indie scenesters’  and from this vital information I began to make decisions on what genre of music my band/artist would play and the style that my magazine would use to reflect this particular social group. Choosing a band that includes both a male and female was a decision I made as I wanted to ensure it appealed to the male and female audience that I was aiming my magazine at (male and female aged 16-24). Although the models used in my magazine were the same age as me (16-17) I felt that although they did not look their age (in fact older), they represented the style of my magazine brilliantly. Their flawless, bold and strong looks helped to reflect the research I did on photographers (Richardson and Vauthier) and emulated the same style as my main style model (i-D magazine). The image I chose to use on my front cover also reflected this style in particular as the male and female are both stood in strong poses, although it does challenge the convention of using a long shot (rather than mid) I think the image is striking and in terms of appearance/aesthetics works really well in relation to the particular social group I am aiming my magazine at. The costume I dressed my models in also helped to represent the particular social group I was aiming ‘DWNLD’ at, their all black clothing and bold red lipstick used on model Ellie helped to highlight the social group of ‘indie scenesters’ I would be aiming the magazine at. Dressing both models in black skinny jeans and plain clothing represented them in the non-materialistic ‘laid back’ manner of the social group I wished to represent, although they still conform to the odd fashion statement (red lipstick) in juxtaposition with the laid back ‘dishevelled’ hairstyles which sets them apart from most cover stars that spend hours in hair and make-up reflecting a glamorous style that would most definitely not appeal to the social group of ‘indie scenesters’ that my magazine represents. The models used in my magazine are represented in a good light by the social group I am aiming the magazine at, they are attractive, laid back and ‘cool’- a band that I feel can be idolised by many and reflect well on my magazine.
As said before the influence of Richardson’s and Vauthier’s photography heavily influenced the outcome of my images and final product. I took into account the framing, lighting and camerawork of their shots and really incorporated their similar style into my work. When directing my models I took ideas from their work to achieve the same bold style with harsh lighting, one that is very popular within the media industry today. I think using this style of photography helped to represent the particular social group of ‘indie scenesters’ as it is bold, strong and stylish- something that I feel was reflected well in my magazine and I believe the images had a significant contribution to its style.




No comments:

Post a Comment