Thursday 21 March 2013

Evaluation Draft Question 4

4. Who would be the audience for your media product?

The audience for my magazine would be young male and female adults aged 16-24 with a keen interest in the latest upcoming music within the indie/alternative music genre and the latest fashion, style and future/current ‘trends’. As my magazine will be published monthly I decided to go for a higher end price of £3.99, I feel that the target audience I am aiming my magazine at will be happy to pay this higher end price as the content of the magazine is good quality and it won’t be full of ‘gossip’ columns about celebrities as plenty of existing magazines like to do. The audience I am aiming my magazine at prefer to set themselves aside from the mainstream pop genre of magazines and my magazine would cater to the smaller ‘niche’ market of alternative fans (which is currently fast growing into a successful and credible music genre).  The readers would be interested in artists and bands within this specific music genre such as: The xx, Jessie Ware, Disclosure, Crystal Castles, SBTRKT and foals. All of those listed feature on the magazine’s contents page and would appeal my target audience’s ‘niche’ and alternative music taste. DWNLD magazine readers will have a significant interest in the latest and upcoming trends/styles within the music and fashion industry, although my magazine is a primarily music based media product, it also relies heavily on style and fashion to appeal to its ‘alternative’ audience
DWNLD would appeal to the ‘alternative’ audience as it is similar to existing magazines such as i-D, Dazed & Confused, Wonderland and POP. I feel I have styled the models on the cover, contents and double page spread to fit in with the ‘indie/alternative’ genre of the magazine and readership it will attract. The bold and flawless photography style achieves the ‘indie/alternative’ look eloquently and is very similar to the style of i-D magazine and Wonderland, making the decision to brand each issue with a tagline (The Influential Issue) similar to i-D and Wonderland also helped to significantly attract my target audience as the suitably vague tagline of ‘The Influential Issue’ would interest my readers in wanting to find out more about the content of the magazine and why it was branded as ‘influential’. Again, using the increasingly popular, stylish and bold photography style of Richardson and Vauthier helped me to achieve this ‘indie/alternative’ style and will help attract the specific/niche audience for my magazine.

1 comment: