Thursday 21 March 2013

Evaluation Draft Question 3

3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

Conde nast logo.jpgI think the best media institution to distribute my magazine would be Conde Nast Publications. As they already distribute a large portfolio of trusted magazines such as Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar and Wired I feel they would be suitable and beneficial for my magazine. Conde Nast is said to be the originator of ‘lifestyle’ magazines and base themselves on class and style rather than attracting the largest readership possible and I feel that my magazine ‘DWNLD’ would be distributed well by the institution partly for this reason alone, the fact that they produce and distribute magazines based on their style and not for the main purpose of generating a large readership is brilliant for my magazine and fits in well with the indie/alternative genre of my magazine with subdivisions of fashion and culture to be aimed at both sexes aged 16-24. Conde Nast is yet to distribute a music magazine and therefore I think this is a good opportunity for them to choose to distribute my magazine ‘DWNLD’ as it will open up a new market and genre of magazine into their already successful portfolio of lucrative magazines.
I would distribute the magazine in the original ‘tangible’ way i.e. on magazine stands in shops and including postage options for subscribers. I also think a really successful way to distribute and publish my magazine would be online on apps for example, I think this would be a great way to distribute my magazine as technology is so advanced and the audience I am aiming my magazine at would benefit from this accessible way of distribution; particularly because my target audience (16-24) would be familiar with the technology to access the magazine with ease.
Pricing my magazine at £3.99 (which is a higher end price for most music magazines) is also another reason as to why I think Conde Nast would be a suitable publishing house for my magazine. They already distribute high-end fashion magazines such as Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar, and I believe that my magazine (as a high-end music magazine) would be best suited to be distributed by this publication for its well established ‘high-end’ notoriety in publishing and distribution. This would also reflect well on my magazine if it were to be distributed by an institution such as Conde Nast as they are a credible publishing house and new readers would view my magazine just as credible if it were to be published and distributed by the same institution as world-wide successful fashion magazines like Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. You could also think about product placement within your magazine. What type of clothing / hair/ music/ phone brands would 'fit' your magazine? This would help promote your magazine with well-known brands within I rand also creat revenue for the magazine publishing company.

    ReplyDelete